Detoxing For Better Health
Detoxification is the removal of toxic substances from the body. Toxins can be capable of causing disease, and can vary in their severity, ranging from very minor effects to almost deadly. Other problems that may arise due to toxin overload are weight gain, headaches, unhealthy skin, cellulite and fatigue. Your body’s main detoxification organs are the liver, colon, kidneys, lungs, skin, lymph, gallbladder and the blood. These organs help rid your body of unwanted wastes and toxins. In today’s world, toxins surround us each and every day; therefore, our bodies have to work even harder to flush them out of our system, which could physically wear you out. Sometimes, we just have to help our bodies out a bit and this is why detoxing for better health is important.
So how exactly does detox help your body?
- Detox diets can help reduce the amount of toxins in your body, giving your detoxification organs a break.
- Detox diets can help promote healthier eating habits and provide the body with better nutrition, which helps clear the body of toxins.
Other great benefits of detoxing for better health:
- Elimination of free radicals and toxins
- Blood purification
- Improvement of immune function
- Improvement of digestion function (removal of inflammation in the digestive tract)
- Strengthening of the body’s cancer fighting abilities by generating healthier cells
- Stability of the body’s blood sugar levels
- Reduction of high blood pressure
- Possible elimination of dependencies toward harmful substances such as nicotine, excessive alcohol, and junk foods
There are many detox diets out there to choose from—many of which consist of drinking some type of liquid concoction anywhere from 3 to 8 days. Others diets consist of eating foods which are great for your detoxification organs. The truth is however, that you don’t have to do a detox “diet”. If you’re already taking care of your body by fueling it with proper nutrition, you can actually keep your body’s toxicity low by increasing the amount of organ-loving foods you probably already consume. For those of you who don’t have healthy eating habits, then it’s time to start taking care of your body now. A detox diet may be a great way to jumpstart a healthy new you. Find a diet you can live with for a few days (or a week) and then incorporate those foods into your regular eating habits.
DETOXING FOR BETTER HEALTH WITH FOOD
- Fresh fruits (especially all kinds of berries and citrus fruits)
- Nuts (unsalted)
- Vegetables (especially broccoli, Brussels sprouts, onions, garlic, cabbage, green leaf lettuce, and cauliflower)
- Oil (stick with extra-virgin olive oil for best results)
- Decaf Tea (herbal and green)
- Water (and lots of it)
- Lemons, lemons, lemons
- Protein (many detox diets limit or even suggest completely avoiding protein, but in reality, eating lean meats is good for cleansing the body and boosting your immune system)
- Flaxseed (powder form dissolved in water or juice works, but there are also flaxseed oil supplements at your local health food store)
- Low-fat yogurt
DETOX DIET DO’S AND DON’TS
- DO drink lots of water and tea
- DON’T drink alcohol or caffeine
- DO eat fresh foods (organic is best if possible)
- DON’T eat prepackaged foods or frozen foods
- DO cook as many foods in extra-virgin olive oil
- DON’T load up on salt or other seasoning products
- DO try to avoid and/or quit smoking
As you can see, many parts of detoxing for better health involves the basics of how we should eat on a regular basis. All of the foods mentioned above are foods that represent proper nutrition and should be a way of life for people today, no matter what your age. If you do plan on doing a specific detox diet, and suffer from any medical conditions, be sure you check with your doctor before starting.
Another great way to cleanse your body is to EXERCISE. That’s right, physical activity is a wonderful way to rid the body of unwanted toxins. Go for a walk or run and sweat them out! Basically, exercising regularly means that you are detoxing for better health regularly. Take care of your body and watch it take care of you. Start today!